Giving Signal a shot.

Giving Signal (from Open Whisper Systems) a shot.

Having used Hangouts for SMS and voice calling over WiFi (although never with much success), I decided to step away from Google and see what else is out there. Mostly because Google is taking functionality away from their communication tools, and throwing crap like Allo out in it's place.

Signal is very privacy conscious, but will allow people like me who couldn't care less about it to use the same old flawed systems as before. And there is a desktop application, but only for users of Signal, and only using WiFi. Certainly not a deal-breaker, since I use email for the majority of my communication, but it's something. And WiFi calling is in beta. So, we'll see how that goes.

I typed that out and accidentally save it as a draft until today.
Asking myself what I think of it, I have to say, pretty good. I wish others were using the native communication instead of the SMS capability, but there's not much you can convince one of the iPeople of unless you're from Apple, so...

Popular posts from this blog

Windows 10 "wait a minute" screen

Fort Worth photo-walk!